Ready to start overcoming your outdoor run boredom?
For beginner and experienced runners it can be a challenge to overcoming your outdoor run boredom. Finding the mental motivation is often more difficult than the physical preparation.
I have had many runs that ended all too soon because I couldn’t find the inspiration to keep going. I had to find more interesting and creative ways to stay motivated during my running outdoors. Everyone is different in what drives them to keep going. Here I want to share a few recommendations to help you.
5 Tips to overcome your outdoor run boredom.
- Make a music playlist. Music will get you pumped and motivated to keep moving. Putting together a list of your favorite energy boost songs will keep you going.
- Change direction. Alternate the way you go. Find a new starting point or even go in the reverse order. The difference in your view will be surprising as you notice the new things along the way.
- Identify milestones. Use items or buildings along the way as landmarks for inspiration. Each milestone can represent a time goal, distance marker, or even a water break spot.
- Jog, run, and sprint. Altering your tempo and speed will give you variation in your workout. This gives you room to be more creative in reaching your goal. It allows for various levels of intensity and definitely helps prevent monotony.
- Run in a group. Join a run group or partner with another runner. The support of others can help you keep going, prevent boredom, and resist the urge to stop.
Overcoming your outdoor run boredom might take a few tries as you find what works for you. These 5 tips are a great way to get started.
If you are new to being active and can’t seem to find time to exercise, be sure to read here for help.