5 Simple Ways to Be Healthy During the Holidays
Are you overwhelmed with looking for ways to be healthy during the holidays? You are not alone. Many people, especially women, struggle with trying to balance the holidays and a healthy lifestyle. I understand and that is why I have put together 5 simple ways to help.
These tips will help you enjoy the holidays and still maintain a healthy lifestyle
1. Keep your portion sizes small. – It is tempting to overload your plate with all the many food choices. Instead of using large or extra-large plates, consider using a small or medium size plate. This also helps you be more mindful of how much food you have eaten. Note: Consuming large portions of calories in one sitting can lead to fatigue while causing you to be less active.
2. Go easy on the dressing, gravy, and sauce. – It is easy to forget that the salad dressing and turkey gravy also adds calories to the meal, but they do! Just as you keep the portion sizes small, keep these to a minimum as well.
3. Drink Water. – Keep a bottle or glass of water nearby. Drinking water is a great way to stay hydrated. Water is also a great alternative to high calorie beverages, such as sodas, that can lead to weight gain. Another great benefit of drinking water is that it helps give you a full sensation, reducing the urge to eat more.
4. Save some for later. – It is the holiday dinner and you want to eat all the food at once, right? I get it. I have been there. However, it is more beneficial to save some of the food for later. You may even find that just allowing a few minutes to pass after eating some of the food on your plate, that you are no longer hungry. If you don’t want to miss out on your favorite foods, especially the desserts, consider a to go plate for later.
5. Get up and move! – Don’t forget to get up and move! Many times, during holiday while gathering with family and friends you find yourself sitting for long periods of time. Take time out to go for a walk, get outside, or even a dance break! I encourage you to get your family and loved ones involved with moving as well. Burn off some of those calories and have fun at the same time.
So here you have 5 Simple Ways to Be Healthy During the Holidays
Pretty simple, right? Feel free to add to this list to meet your specific needs. The goal is to enjoy the holidays while staying on track for a healthier lifestyle. If you are new to making healthy choices, just remember to not over think it and just know that you can do it!
For even more ways to take care of yourself check out 5 Steps to Taking Care of You